The Kalita Wave is a different kind of pourover coffee dripper that has an angled brewing vessel. The main difference with this model is that it features a flat bottom with three holes instead of one or two like most pourover devices. Additionally, it contains circular rings that separate the filter from the inside of the brewing vessel. This helps to ensure that draining coffee will flow in a different way than vertical raised edges like other brands.
This dripper can be purchased in glass, porcelain, and polished stainless steel. These materials are a better choice for storing residual heat when you wet out the paper filter over plastic vessels. With a unique Japanese design, the Kalita Wave comes in two different sizes that let you brew 1-2 cups of coffee or up to 3-4 cups at a time.
It’s perfect for use in your kitchen, at the office, or bringing on a camping trip, thus making the Kalita Wave a universal coffee dripper that makes expert coffee. Because it’s not your typical cone-shaped vessel, the filters are a big difference here. These don’t use the typical filters that you find for V60 or Melitta cone drips. These filters look more like paper cupcake inserts and are a proprietary design that goes with the Kalita Wave.
You won’t find it hard to find these filters sold online or search around for basket filters that are used for drip coffee machines that fit. Aside from this, you can’t modify the cone filters to fit in the Kalita Wave without doing some creative origami. Just search for ordinary coffee drip filters used for basket-loading coffee machines instead.
What’s The Secret To Kalita Wave?
There’s no big secret actually, it’s just made to be more durable than other brands if you buy the stainless steel version. This makes it perfect for taking anywhere you like and will take a beating without breaking unless you’re using it as a hammer… Between the two sizes available, the brewing time will range anywhere from three to five minutes. With groups of 3 to 4, this is perfect for small gatherings and produces smooth and light-tasting coffee.
To be a better coffee brewer you will need a couple of essential items that are part of every pourover brewing process. The first is a good coffee grinder and the second is a digital scale. These two give you accuracy levels that will become an important part of your brewing process. But some items also help give you an edge for being more proficient at brewing pour-over coffee each time thereafter.
How To Brew With The Kalita Wave
With all of your gadgets ready for brewing, you want to prepare the grind setting on your coffee grinder. When using the Kalita Wave, the recommended grind is different than others. You want to set your grinder for a medium grind. This is what gives you a smoother coffee with some oils that come through. Finer grinds are possible but are better suited for brewing vessels such as Chemex or the V60.
Kalita Wave Brewing
- The Kalita Wave
- Scale (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Medium Ground Coffee or 23.5 Grams
- 13.5 oz Water or 400 Grams
- Boil water in kettle till boiling (205°F). Remove from heat. Setup your Kalita for brewing.
- Pour 1/4 cup (or 60 grams) of water into filter to rinse. Discard rinse water. Add coffee to the filter. Lightly shake the device to level the coffee bed.
- Bloom: Pour about 1/4 cup (or 50 grams) of water slowly in a circular pattern over the entire coffee bed, soaking the coffee grounds. Wait for bloom to complete, about 25 seconds.
- Pulse Pouring; Slowly and gently pour ¼ cup + 3 tbsp (or 100 grams) of water in a circular pattern over the center portion of the coffee bed. Wait 10 seconds.Repeat the above process five times, using only 1/4 cup (or 50 grams) of water each time.
- Allow the water to completely drain from the filter. Enjoy!